Saturday, December 18, 2010

Muskrat


Muskrat. Wikipedia defines this animal as "semi-aquatic rodent." It's just a nice way of saying swamp rat. The muskrat lives throughout the marshes surrounding Elliott's Island. I remember seeing their nests in the marsh, hunters trapping them, the island ladies cooking them and various locals practicing their skinning techniques. The first two I mentioned are self-explanatory. The latter begs some explanation.

One of my most revolting, grossest memories of the island is my Nana stewing a muskrat -- with the head on including the nasty yellow rat teeth -- and then plopping it on a platter for us to eat. Disgusting doesn't quite describe what muskrat smells, looks and tastes like. And no, it doesn't taste like chicken. I guess if I was starving and there was nothing else to eat then maybe I would go for it. In any circumstance other than starvation I would definitely pass on this local delicacy.

I went out in the marsh trapping with my stepfather once. I remember seeing the muskrat nests and maybe some other trappers. I also distinctly remember getting my boot stuck in the marsh. For anyone who has never been in the marsh I will explain it a little. It is beautiful on one hand and very quiet. The sticky mud that can take one down in an instant if not schooled in how and where to walk overshadows the beauty. I flunked at my one outing and I don't think I attempted it again.

Now why were they trapping the muskrat? I don't remember, but my mom says it was for fur and meat. Either option was icky to me then and still is. Apparently Jack (my stepfather) used to trap sometimes and mom has memories of him skinning muskrat in our kitchen. Due to their musk glands (hence the name) they stink terribly. The main use I remember for the muskrat was to practice your skinning speed. Yes, you read that right -- skinning speed.

Why would someone want to skin a muskrat fast? Well, the answer is obvious. To enter and win the muskrat skinning competition in the National Outdoor Show. And get a big trophy. Oh my. Just typing this makes me laugh and brings back so many memories. The Show wasn't held on the island but many of us from there would make the trek to either watch or to partake in the spectacle. I highly recommend checking out the website (www.nationaloutdoorshow.org). For me, imagining the competitions are just as fun as actually seeing them. There are events such as a muskrat race for children, a beauty pageant, bird calling, oyster shucking, trap setting, log sawing and the highlight of the event -- the muskrat skinning competition. There is even a hall-of-fame for skinnin' winners on the website.

What I love the most is how they now call it the International World Muskrat Skinning Competition. The use of international and world in the same sentence brings me way too much joy. Also, usually the only entries into the competition are from Dorchester County and from Cameron Parish, Louisiana. But that's the whole world, right? And typically half of the contestants have been from the Abbott family who resided on Elliott's Island. I can remember many years when the championship would be passed back and forth between father and son. And there were women and children competitions as well. You guessed it, also typically won by Abbotts.

Growing up on the island I rode my bike by the Abbott house all the time and had the privilege of watching muskrat skinning more times than I can count. I also think that one of the Abbotts developed a unique technique of skinning the rat. It was something having to do with making a small cut and then turning it inside out. Disgusting. But nothing beat seeing it on the "big stage" and then reading about it on the front page of the county paper the next day. Yes, front page news. And I love the fact that on the same stage that held a beauty pageant one night was a muskrat skinning competition the very next night. There is a hilarious documentary about this called Muskrat Lovely. Check out that website too (www.muskratlovely.com) for more entertainment.

I can remember going to so many of the National Outdoor Shows. We would walk around and look at the exhibits, eat fried oyster sandwiches on white bread and watch the winner of the Ms. Outdoor Pageant wear a muskrat bikini. Yes, a fur bikini. I don't think they still make the ladies do that. At least I hope they don't.

And guess who was a contestant in the Little Ms. Outdoor Pageant? I didn't win and honestly don't remember anything about it other then wearing a long red dress and when the announcer was asking another cute little contestant what pets she had. My mother very causally leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Don't mention the raccoon." It was illegal to have them as pets of course, which made our pet Friskie, illegal. And you may be wondering if all this reminiscing about muskrats would make me want to go trapping, try the meat again or go to the International World Muskrat Skinning competition? That answer would be a resounding no. The memories and the song Muskrat Love are quite enough.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe there is a book in the making....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok.... let me start by saying OMG!!! Jan was Miss Outdoors, my family stewed and fried Muskrat, and I had a " pot to piss in" at my grandmothers so I didn't brave the straight set if stairs leading downstairs in the middle of the night! Oh Faith, you and I have come a long way! I am so glad you are my best friend!

    ReplyDelete